LUBBOCK, Texas – The Texas Tech men’s tennis team defeated No. 19 Tulane 4-2 at the McLeod Tennis Center in Lubbock on Sunday.
Tech improved to 6-3 on the year and 3-0 at the McLeod Tennis Center with Sunday’s win.
The Red Raiders began their day with a bang, as the No. 14 ranked tandem of Bjorn Thomson and Parker Wynn picked up their second win of the weekend with a 6-4 victory. The veteran duo of Jackson Cobb and Tommy Mylnikov also won their match at a 6-4 clip on court 2, sealing the doubles point and giving Tech momentum heading into singles play.
“It was an interesting day, but I’m so proud of our guys,” head coach Brett Masi said. “It was a very good team win. I was especially impressed with Parker and Franco. Parker picked up a couple of ranked wins this weekend and for Franco to come out this early in his career and help the team is huge for us. The past couple of weeks have been a real test for us, but I’m happy with the way we’ve responded against some very good competition.”
With only three singles wins needed to secure the match, it was the seasoned leadership of Mylnikov and Wynn on courts 1 and 2 that led the Red Raiders to their second and third match points of the day. Mylnikov improved to 4-2 on the year with his 6-4, 6-4 win over No. 63 Ewan Moore of Tulane. Wynn’s second singles win of the weekend came against the No. 42 ranked player in the nation by a count of 6-1, 6-2.
The third and final singles victory was provided by freshman sensation Franco Ribero, who continued his undefeated start to his collegiate campaign with a straight-set win, 6-4, 6-4. Ribero is now 5-0 on the year in singles play, the best mark on the Red Raider squad.
Tech will take a week off and next return to action at the annual Blue Gray National Tennis Classic in Montgomery, Ala. On Feb. 22.
Visit www.TexasTech.com for the latest news and information on the Texas Tech men’s tennis program. Fans are also encouraged to follow the program on its social media outlets at www.facebook.com/
Texas Tech 4, Tulane 2
1. #78 Tommy Mylnikov (TTU) def. Ewan Moore (TLN) 6-4, 6-4
2. Parker Wynn (TTU) def. #42 Luis Erlenbusch (TLN) 6-1, 6-2
3. Hamish Stewart (TLN) def. Bjorn Thomson (TTU) 6-1, 7-5
4. Ilgiz Valiev (TTU) vs. Dane Esses (TLN) 6-7 (6-8), 6-4, unfinished
5. #76 Tyler Schick (TLN) def. Artem Kapshuk (TTU) 6-3, 6-0
6. Franco Ribero (TTU) def. Akos Kotorman (TLN) 6-4, 6-4
1. #14 Bjorn Thomson/Parker Wynn (TTU) def. Ewan Moore/Akos Kotorman (TLN) 6-4
2. Jackson Cobb/Tommy Mylnikov (TTU) def. Hamish Stewart/Tim Ruetzel (TLN) 6-4
3. Artem Kapshuk/Matheus Leite (TTU) vs. Luis Erlenbusch/Tyler Schick (TLN) 4-5, unfinished